Estate Planning Attorneys Serving in Plainsboro
When we think of the future, we often think about the events and milestones we most look forward to: job promotions, children, weddings — the experiences that make us human. However, when we think of the future, we also need to prepare for the end of our lives. No matter what stage of life you are in, an estate planning attorney serving Plainsboro can help you determine what is best for you and your family.
Should you unexpectedly pass away, it’s crucial for your family members to understand how to manage your end-of-life wishes, as well as how your assets will be distributed. When you work with Van Dyck Law Group, our attorneys can help you establish a last will and testament, form a trust, or fill out other applicable documents to ensure your loved ones are well aware of your wishes.
No matter your financial situation, your family will benefit from you having an estate plan in place. The sooner you file, the more opportunity you will have to amend the plan to ensure its accuracy as the years come to pass.
Meet with our attorneys to learn more about what is involved with establishing a comprehensive estate plan. Call (609) 293-2562 or contact us online to make a no-risk appointment and consultation today.
Estate Planning Lawyers Helping Plainsboro Residents Protect Their Assets
Plainsboro is one of the most desirable communities to live in New Jersey. Known for its economic growth and open space preservation, the area promotes an exceptional quality of life. What began as a rural farming territory has evolved into a diverse community of nearly 23,000 people.
Officially recognized as one of the top 10 best places to live in the state, Plainsboro is considered a premier suburban area. It is the home of Princeton’s Plainsboro campus, which was responsible for much of the town’s growth and development in the 1970s.
The most popular feature of the area is the 1,000-acre Plainsboro Preserve. The preserve features a 50-acre lake, walking trails, wetlands, wooded areas, and abundant natural habitats for local wildlife and flora.
While living in a community like Plainsboro can make a person worry less about what tomorrow will bring, it’s never too early to think about estate planning. Van Dyck Law Group is proud to provide estate planning services to Plainsboro residents.
Our services include:
- Last Will & Testament Creation
- Trust Formation
- Estate Tax Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Special Needs Estate Planning
- Asset Protection
- Long-term Care Planning
- Medical Crisis Planning (Advanced Directives)
- Powers of Attorney
- Estate Plan Reviews
- Probate Assistance
Proudly Serving Our Clients in Middlesex County
Estate planning is affected greatly by state law, so it is advisable to work with a knowledgeable Middlesex County estate planning attorney. The lawyers at Van Dyck Law Group are well-versed in estate planning laws and have the resources to help you strategize for whatever the future may bring. We will also ensure your plan is kept up-to-date with any changing wishes.
Located in central New Jersey, Middlesex County is the third-most populous county in the state. Established in March 1683, the location for Middlesex was chosen because of its proximity to the Raritan River. The Middlesex County of today features an extensive transportation network, including a number of rail stations, the area also plays home to a vast public park system made up of more than 6,300 acres.
Middlesex County holds the nickname of “the greatest county in the land.” Known for its proximity to Philadelphia and New York City, as well as its world-class health care and educational institutions — including Rutgers New Brunswick and Princeton Plainsboro — Middlesex rigorously promotes community, culture, commerce, and education.
With a focus on enrichment, Middlesex County aspires to provide all residents with the opportunity to access the arts, culture, and history. With a median age of 39.3 across over 830,000 residents, many residents in the county are at stages in their lives where it makes sense to state planning for the future. Van Dyck Law Group is proud to serve the residents of Middlesex County and the surrounding areas when it comes to their estate planning needs.
Build Your Legacy With Help from an Estate Planning Law Firm Serving Plainsboro
Planning for the future can be overwhelming, especially without the right support system. However, with an estate planning lawyer helping you manage your affairs, you can be prepared for whatever life may bring.
While estate plans are most often thought of in regard to someone’s passing, they also come into effect during a person’s lifetime. If, for example, you were to be in an accident that left you medically incapacitated for a time, having documented Powers of Attorney and Advance Directives can ensure you receive the care you would choose if you were able to make those decisions.
At Van Dyck Law Group, managing attorney Fiona Van Dyck is recognized as a leading practitioner of estate planning in New Jersey. In addition to providing guidance to Plainsboro residents, she also provides continuing education instruction to members of the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office. If you have questions regarding estate planning, elder law, Medicaid, or Veterans affairs, Fiona Van Dyck and her team can provide you with answers and personalized guidance towards reaching your estate planning goals.
What To Know About Planning Your Estate in New Jersey
Many people assume that their end-of-life wishes are fully outlined with the last will and testament. However, there are many more components to a comprehensive estate plan. A well-crafted plan will protect your assets and save on estate taxes while avoiding probate. At a minimum, your estate plan should contain a will and a durable power of attorney for someone you trust to make medical decisions on your behalf. However, there are other elements to consider, including a trust, medical directives, and designated beneficiaries.
Components of an Estate Plan
- Will — A last will and testament is a legally-binding document that explains how your property is to be distributed after your death. Wills can also appoint legal representatives to carry out wishes, identify guardians for minor children, and provide other instructions including those for your funeral and burial.
- Trust — A trust is a legal agreement holding a trustee responsible for the management of the trust’s assets and their possible future transfer to a beneficiary. The trustee, which could be an individual, law firm, bank, or other institution, holds property for the beneficiary — which is often either a spouse or child(ren). Trusts are set up for different reasons, including establishing charities, avoiding probate, and reducing estate taxes.
- Power of Attorney. A power of attorney is a legal document that appoints a person to act in your place to make medical or financial decisions for you in the event you are incapacitated. Without a power of attorney, a court needs to appoint a guardian or conservator to your estate to make decisions on your behalf.
- Medical Directives — A medical directive can include many documents, including your will and power of attorney. Medical directives can guide care for someone to make medical decisions on your behalf if you are incapable of doing so. They can also establish the type of end-of-life care you want. For example, do not resuscitate (DNR) orders are set with a medical directive.
- Designated Beneficiaries — As you create your estate plan, you also want to ensure your retirement plan beneficiary designations are current. Naming a beneficiary is crucial to ensuring your benefits are appropriately distributed after your death.
Secure Your Family’s Future With Van Dyck Law Group
No matter what your goals are for the future, Van Dyck Law Group can help you prepare. When you reach out to an estate planning attorney serving Plainsboro, they will review your goals and help you construct a tailored estate plan that meets your needs. As time passes, you may find that your intentions change — and that’s okay. We can adjust your estate plan as needed to keep your wishes as current as possible and to reflect the current contents of your estate.
Van Dyck Law Group is focused on providing our clients with valuable, personalized service. When you craft an estate plan with our guidance, you can rest assured your family will have everything they need to uphold your legacy, preserve your memory, and protect their own financial future. Schedule your no-risk consultation appointment now when you call Van Dyck Law Group at (609) 293-2562 or contact us online.